Buffalo aka Bison
Buffalo…I guess that in part is due to being a native of where Buffalo wings call home.
Quick Background – I used to play drums in a hardcore band, toured North America as a roadie, recorded numerous EP’s and played over 150 shows throughout my youth…What does this have to do with cycling? I guess it’s the understanding surrounding the pain of practice and the pleasure of progress.
Okay, the Cycling Bit – Purchased my first road bike after I moved to Boston in August 2014 but mostly enjoyed riding to different beaches along the Massachusetts north shore. In winter 2015, I was taking a spin class at my gym. The instructor always talked about the sport of cycling and its legends, so I felt like I could learn from him. We ended up riding together and he showed me the ropes, including all of the cafés in and around the greater Boston area.
Worst moments on a bike:
– October 2015: Great River Ride (69 mi. 5,050 ft. of climbing), western Massachusetts. Had no water and didn’t know what to expect – it was my first fondo! After the first 10 miles and roughly 900 feet of climbing, needed a loo and was on the verge of death. Luckily, later on, there was a food stop with baked potatoes. Saved my life.
– June 2016: Hurt my knee and was off the bike for what felt to be the longest month of my life!
Classic Buffalo by Neneh Cherry
– Cruising through three states in one day along the Atlantic coast (Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine…route 1…do it!). Doesn’t get much better than that.
– Riding around the Burgundy countryside with my in-laws. Navigating the hills of Curtil-Saint-Seine on the outskirts of Dijon and the farmlands around Autrey les Grays. Celebrating with a Trappist upon completion. C’est la vie!
– My first ride round trip to Brighton with the B’s…in February.
– The 2017 Tour of Cambridgeshire: even though I missed qualifying by 40 seconds and faced two mechanicals, there’s something magical about riding on closed roads past crowds of people actually interested in what you’re doing.
The Buffalo Baroudeur leading the pain-train
What bikes do you own:
BMC Teammachine SLR01: The feeling this bad boy gives when you get up out of the saddle is invigorating.
Bianchi Via Nirone 7: The first bike I purchased – so many memories!
Felt CX: A custom gift from my friend Stephen with a Shimano/SRAM combination. He wanted to introduce me to cyclocross and built it up so I could experience some gravel rides. Man, was I sold! Use it as my go-to whenever I’m back on the home front!
Buffalo and Ratle (the Honey Badger) = matchy, matchy!
What does your cycling future hold?
I’ve had my first taste of racing crits and Gran Fondo’s. It’s tough work, but I always leave smiling. The Baroudeurs team training is great before getting into work, and the Sunday Club Rides are always fun.
I’m now looking forward to seeing how I can develop in the team and make a stab at contesting for races. My connection with France also gives me the opportunity to explore the mountains we all read about and cheer on The Tour. I can’t wait to get out there and mix it up on either road or gravel.
:: Meet more of the Baroudeurs